Saturday, July 18, 2015

Weblogic NodeManager port 5556 conflicts with VideoStream for Chromecast


I was installing the latest version of Primavera Gateway on my home machine last weekend and ran into an issue where WebLogic would not start.  The problem is that NodeManager is set to run on port 5556, and  I kept getting messages that another program was using that port.
Here is the message:

<Jul 18, 2015 6:13:29 PM MDT> <SEVERE> <Fatal error in NodeManager server: The server is unable to create a server socket for listening. The address localhost might be incorrect or another process is using port 5,556: java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind>

I ran the following command line to see which process had the port:

> netstat -abnp TCP 

The result:

  TCP    192.168.1.6:5556       0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
 [chrome.exe]


Why would Chrome be using a port?  It turns out that this was not Chrome directly, but an extension I use which allows me to stream movies from my desktop to my Chromecast (Surprisingly, even if a movie can play fine on your PC, Chromecast will not always recognize it. But Videostream can play almost any format).


I went to Chrome->More Tools->Extensions and  found the culprit:
Now I just happend to get lucky searching on 5556 and Chrome and found articles mentioning port 5556.  If I had not found that, then I would have had to try disabling every extension until it worked.  One work around was to just turn Chrome off completely.  But it's hard for me to get anything done without Chrome :) 

2 comments :

Binarymasta said...

Thank you! Was wondering what my problem was

Unknown said...

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for this. I installed the Vide streaming application on Tuesday evening. Then happily used P6 EPPM on my laptop at work on Wednesday, albeit no network connection. Then it didn't work today, at home with network connection.

I did netstat -a -b -n and found the culprit.

A Google search of what is chrome using port 5556 for? had your excellent post as number 1.

Barrie